With the introduction of Teigha.NET in 2012, ODA took a new approach to .NET support. In the past, ODA has offered .NET products which contain a subset of the functionality available in the underlying C++ components. This "classic" approach used distinct class and function names from the underlying C++ components, which added an additional level of complexity both for users and for our internal development purposes.
A Better Solution for .NET
Teigha.NET is a product of a new process that uses SWIG (www.swig.org) to generate .NET wrappers directly from our C++ components. This process provides the following advantages:
- Wrappers can be automatically generated, saving a significant amount of development time.
- Wrappers cover the full C++ API for .dwg and .dgn files.
- Wrapper class and function names are identical to the underlying C++ class and function names, making the transition to .NET easier for experienced C++ developers. Note that there are some exceptions to this in a small number of cases, for example nested C++ classes may result in .NET classes that have a prefix attached.
- Environment information:
- Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 operating systems.
- .NET Version: .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 4.0 (note that the 2.0 version is compatible with .NET Frameworks 3.0 and 3.5).
- C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, and all other .NET compatible development languages.
Leveraging SWIG to Create Teigha for Java
In 2013, ODA used the Java support provided by SWIG to create "Teigha for Java". Teigha for Java includes the following:
- Java access to the full Teigha API for both .dwg and .dgn files.
- Support for Windows, Linux and Mac platforms.
- API very similar to Teigha.NET, simplifying the transition between languages.